Farol do Arnel is located in the most northeast part of São Miguel Island – named Ponta do Arnel. It was start operating in November 26th of 1876, which was the first lighthouse implanted in the Azores. It was built in the nineteenth century in order to improve the Nordeste County by António Alves de Oliveira.
Farol do Arnel was suffering over the years several improvements and adaptations that allowed to keep the same functions and to make a landmark in the heritage of Nordeste County.
During all year are provided guided tours to the lighthouse in order to visitors know their history and their heritage as well as the lighthouse keeper ativity.
Inside of the building there’s a permanent exhibition about all lighthouses of Azores. Access to Farol do Arnel
The access path to the lighthouse is steep and there is no parking on site. You must make the journey on foot, leaving the car in the car park of the Regional Road. Open for guided tours – all Wednesdays