The early chroniclers do not make reference to this place, which suggests that it had long been the grove virgin field that it was belched out by the years. Pedreira (quarry, in English) owes its name to this place, since it was the site from which large amounts of raw materials such as rocks were extracted for the construction of the village of Nordeste. Then, little by little, houses were built for the quarry’s workers, followed by the construction of a church, where Mass was only celebrated on Sundays and holy days. In the 19th century, the size of the village demanded a new temple that was completed in 1872. It is this temple, dedicated to Our Lady of Light (“Igreja da Nossa Senhora da Luz”) that still exists nowadays, embellishing this parish.
Also in Pedreira, one can find some of best viewpoints of Nordeste: Ponta do Sossego and Ponta da Madrugada, the beach of Lombo Gordo and Fajã do Araújo. Regarding walking trails, there is a very sought-for walk once used by locals that had big extensions of vineyards. It starts in the back of the church of Our Lady of Light and follows on until Fajã do Araújo. One can still find old houses used by vineyard farmers and more recently built summer houses.
“Priolo” Environmental Centre
It is an environmental interpretation centre for the “Priolo”, a bird species endemic to this region of the island of São Miguel, once one of the most threatened bird species of the world. This centre includes an interactive exhibition about the “Priolo” and its habitat, the Laurel Forest, as well as on the conservation actions that have been developed to preserve the species. This centre is open all year long for visitation. However in winter it is open only under appointment . For further information http://centropriolo.spea.pt/en/.